Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

I Have No Words...Oh wait...That's Never True!


Dia:  It was Sunday when it occurred to me that I had not yet read the third book in the March trilogy. I will admit for a moment I thought I will just vote for Burn Baby Burn. I had enjoyed the book. The back drop of the women's movement, the brother who is a monster but a familiar one, the throw back to a time when I was just younger than the character were all enticing. Perhaps more a book for high school then my current grade eights but an enjoyable read.  Then I reminded myself that I had signed up to actually read the books assigned and I went upstairs to finish the third March book. Immediately, I was sucked into the basement church, which is the opening for this volume, and that was it. This book is too important, too devastating, too topical today to be ignored. I know there will be arguing (Tammy told me so) but as I continued to read, cry, pause, breathe it was simply not a contest for me. There is no getting over, or it's been done, or kids won't get it. I get it. Kids should get it and we can help them get it. If we don't get it that's a problem. Let the arguments flow but I'm standing with March.

Annabel: I didn't think this would be a tough call for me, but it is!  March is unlike many graphic novels I have read in that it is very text heavy.  At times that was both distracting and discouraging.  The artwork truly was 'art' for me but the vast amount of text meant I often had to remind myself to also absorb the art.  It brought to life this important sequence of historical events and was especially timely given Oprah's tribute yesterday to Recy Taylor.  Yet last night I was absorbed in New York in 1977.  Caught up in the struggles of the family, horrified by the brother, angered by the mother, I couldn't put it down.  Neither are intended for grade 7's and I can't think of any I've yet met that I'd suggest them to but I did enjoy them both.  March stands out for me and gets my vote because I love to see the evolution of graphic novels both in society and in peoples minds and hope to convince others that weighty topics can be addressed effectively and engagingly in this format.  

Arlene: While I do believe that March is important and I loved it, my vote is going to Burn Baby Burn. I have students in my class that are asking for it right now. That for me is the deciding factor.

Lisa: I was so excited when March was on our list. I think I have seen every important movie about the civil rights movement. I am often disappointed that I was never able to be involved in this struggle, and even though there are struggles for groups in this day and age, they have never quite resonated the same with me... Lisa Haugen, Freedom Rider! 

This was my attitude as I picked up the books March 1, 2 and 3, and it didn't disappoint. I was totally engaged, and when I gave it to both of my boys to read, they were as well. The problem with March is that I don't really see it as being a book for kids. It requires quite a bit of background knowledge and even with that knowledge at times is confusing. And, as Annabel pointed out, it is very text heavy. There is really not a single student I could give it to in either my grade 7 or 9 class... An important book to be sure, but not really one I want to win a school-based reading "contest".

Burn Baby Burn is certainly more of an accessible book, but it is really more appropriate for high school. I really enjoyed this book. This is when I grew up so all of the allusions to the 70s made me smile, and let's be honest, cringe. :) I remember Son of Sam and the fear that went along with that - and I lived in Edmonton! I also loved the idea of introducing domestic abuse from the son/brother aspect. This book is important, engaging AND accessible. For these reasons, my vote is for Burn Baby Burn.

Andrea: Although I think March is an important book, I found it too lengthy and text heavy ( I also had difficulty seeing some of the font).  I read all 3 books over the break and kept thinking the message is so important but how many students would actually persevere through it all.
By contrast Burn Baby Burn had me engaged the entire time I was reading.  It reminded me once again how much I enjoy historical fiction. I feel that students will be intrigued by the era and the mystery of the story.

Andrew also votes for Burn Baby Burn because of the accessible argument. Holly and Barb did not get a chance to read both books so they abstained. 

Numbers say Burn Baby Burn and my heart is - but in resentment. 

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed both books and was happy with the reading I did over the break. I enjoyed both books, but my vote goes to Burn Baby Burn.

    It was a slow start for me and I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, but the more I read, the more I wanted to read. I found that I was not able to put it down and my heart was racing as I neared the end. It was an interesting look at this time period and these events in New York.

    March is an important read, but I also found it text heavy and struggled with some of the font (maybe I am getting old). I liked that this important topic was addressed in a graphic novel and perhaps makes it more accessible for people to learn about. I thought both books would be appropriate for high school students.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete