Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones vs. Burn Baby Burn

DDM votes for Burn Baby Burn to move on to the next round.

Brandy Lee: I like true crime and mystery genres, so I much preferred Burn Baby Burn. Regardless, I didn't like the other book that much. I wasn't drawn in by the main character - I wasn't sure how to feel towards him. He seemed like an earnest kid trying to make friends, but his relationship with the girls was confusing. I didn't know if she was his friend or his enemy. And I wish they would have put more time into developing his relationship with the shut in neighbour. I feel like that was a pivotal event in his life and I don't know much about her.

Renae: I didn't know anything about New York in the 1970s, so reading Burn Baby Burn enlightened me about a moment in history that provided an interesting backdrop to the story. I think this book would work well for grade 9 or high school students. I liked that the main character rose above her circumstances rather than being dragged down by them. It wasn't done in a cheesy way, either. The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones dragged too much for me. I thought the protagonist, at 11 years old, came to some pretty deep realizations about life for such a young person. There were too many aspects of the book that weren't developed well enough to be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment