Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Team 10 Votes...






The winner….When We Collided:

Kerri - Mental illness is always challenging to write about in a way that doesn't feel cliche. I think the author, Emery Lord, did a good job of discussing really difficult topics in a way that would be relatable to teens but also didn't gloss over the struggles faced by people struggling with mental illness. I found the characters likeable and believable (for the most part) and their relationship seemed genuine. I don't remember the last time I finished a book in a day, but I did with this one.

Linda-I thoroughly enjoyed the contrasts and comparisons between the two main characters featured in this novel.  Emery Lord has an insightful and descriptive way of writing about the thoughts, feelings, and actions of Jonah and Vivi.  I started to “sticky” different thoughts that rang true with me, and found that I was highlighting something for myself every few pages.  I showed my students what I was doing and encouraged them to do the same with their books.  A couple of girls saw my copy of When We Collided on my desk and wanted to read it immediately.  The situations of mental illness, and the loss of a loved one which also results in mental illness are all very “real” and prevalent in this day and age. I found that this novel presented these difficult situations in a very genuine way, with overtones of lighthearted joy and compassionate understanding that will help the readers think and connect more deeply about these struggles in everyday life.

Krystal- I really enjoyed the simplicity of the writing and the straight forward nature of each of the characters. I liked, but was not sold on the plausibility of Vivi, however my experience with bipolar disorder within my family and the reality of the ups and downs were explicitly drawn out in the novel creating an excellent example of how the illness can affect not only the patient but those around him/ her as well.
Jonah, however, was likable and believable. I felt more drawn to him and his loss than to Vivi and her disorder. I think the novel offers readers an opportunity to connect with either of the characters, making it an enjoyable read.   
Although I wasn’t sold on the ‘perfect girl’ representation of Vivi, the main character’s love interest, there was something simplistic and sweet about the two falling in love. Emery Lord has a way of capturing those ‘first love’ moments that we’ve all felt at some point and it really made me, as a single girl, wish I could find my perfect collision.
I think an older audience would enjoy and relish in the story and the incorporation of falling in love and realizing that everyone has their own demons, this will create a connection for teens and draw them in. If you’re looking for a book to focus on character development, I think this book would be excellent!


Midnight Without a Moon:

Bernadette- I started to read this one, but in all honesty… I didn’t like it at all. I didn’t even finish it. That is not typical for me, I’ll usually tough it out until the end, even if I find the book mediocre. This one I just couldn’t finish. So obviously I would not recommend this book. I found it predictable and lacked details. It just never “caught” me.

Rachel - Although I enjoy historical fiction, I found this book did not grab my attention. I forced myself to continue and by about the halfway mark I wanted to keep reading to see it through. I believe that younger readers may struggle with the Southern dialect and it may take away from their full engagement. I also found myself disappointed with the ending for Rose’s character.

(I only got as far as Chapter 7)
Linda--JH students would enjoy reading this book as they are horrified by the injustices that were a constant reality in the past, when they compare it to the rights and freedoms that we have here in Canada today.  The main character Rose Lee is spunky and full of righteous indignation about the living conditions of “colored folks” like herself and her family. With that attitude, she goes forward in life with the hope and intent of making a difference.  The only drawback to this book is that the reader will need to take some time to get used to the old southern voice that it is written in.  Some younger students who don’t have any experiences with this particular voice--the dialect of the cultural social group--will have some difficulties with certain phrases and may find it difficult to decipher the overall meaning of various passages, although it is necessary for the authenticity of the novel.

Kerri - I also really liked the main character in this one, but something about her rang false to me. Many times throughout the story I felt myself thinking "this seems like it has been done before" and I found the end kind of predictable. It was a really cute story with an inspiring message, but I don't think it was as gripping and relatable as When We Collided.

No comments:

Post a Comment