Smackdown Books 2017

Arlene's smackdown17 book montage

The Memory of Things
Hour of the Bees
The Gospel Truth
Ultraman, Vol. 1
Ghost
The Bunker Diary
Echo
Trouble Is a Friend of Mine
Footer Davis Probably Is Crazy
The Hired Girl
An Ember in the Ashes
The Porcupine of Truth
Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir
Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
Goodbye Stranger
Beautiful Blue World
The Blackthorn Key
One
Updraft
All American Boys
»

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

United as One (except one) against One

I'm ready to vote
I'm just going to throw my opinion in the ring

One is a hot commodity with my grade eights,
Such a different story.
It is incredibly accessible, well-written, and truly engaging for my students.
They are really authentic voices
Going through regular teen-age troubles.
I'd not be comfortable giving it to my 7's.
I did not really like One when I read it last round.
I did like One when it was going up against other books

I LOVED and was captivated by the three stories and how they came together at the end.
I appreciated the craft of the book,
But I haven't had anyone pick it up off the shelf yet.
I cared about the characters more than in One.
I did wonder about the fairy tale in Echo,
I am a sucker for a fairy tale!
But I loved the characters so much!
Echo is more likely a story that will stand the test of time.

Geez, there seems to be an Echo in the room.



In honor of it being poetry writing season in my classes I used our email trail to create a poem for our post!  

Our vote is for Echo here at ABM on Team 2.    

No comments:

Post a Comment