Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

the Porcupine of Truth vs The War That Saved My Life

Soooooo I was torn. I loved both these books for different reasons.  The War That Saved My Life had such a historical slant that I was hooked immediately, after touring Europe visiting World War II museums and monuments.  I loved Ada, a teenager who had been abused and traumatized, but was resilient because of the love of her younger brother, Jamie.  I was amazed at the honesty of the chance for Ada to find a home with real love and her inability to believe it could be real.  The author, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, wrote brilliantly capturing the effects of trauma and the kind of compassion needed from caregivers when adopting children who have lived through trauma.  There was no fluff or everything is wonderful, the struggles and level of fear Ada experienced reminded me so much of many of my students that I have encountered. I will definitely get the second one to read but my vote actually goes to the Porcupine of Truth.

Carson and Aisha are teenage voices that are very unconventional.  Again this novel hit a heart chord with the narrative showing how many layers of hurt families splitting up can have.  I felt there would be many teenagers who could relate to Carson and Aisha's journey to find the truth while disregarding their parent's requests.  I did at times wonder how realistic the journey was, but then thought to all the stories from students over the years who don't have traditionally calm or stable homes.  The power of secrets throughout Carson's life was so accurately stated, and the struggle of being gay in our society was woven into the story in such a realistic manner.  I again heard many of my student's voices in Aisha's narrative and choices.  The crux of relationships in the novel won me over and that is why the Porcupine of Truth got my vote, but alas it was the only member of my team that felt that way.

Congrats The War That Saved My Life.  #loveyoutoo

No comments:

Post a Comment