Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

One Blows Away Updraft!

Sarah Crossan’s One tells the compelling and unique story of conjoined twins, Tipi and Grace, through the point of view of the quieter twin, Grace.  This is a universal story of the teenage girl, with heart wrenching complications and challenges.  It is the story of family, of siblings and of difficult decisions.  The choice of free verse is a perfect vehicle for the narrative. I did not want this book to end. Although at first, I was concerned that the free verse format would not draw me into either character or plot, I was so quickly engaged that I read the book in one sitting and was saddened that the story had to end. 

Updraft by Fran Wilde was a different sort of read.  This  well crafted fantasy with Kirit Densira as the protagonist in a sky world explores the wildly popular theme of a society gone awry while trying to meet the best interests of its citizens.  Kirit and her friends uncover and challenge the workings of the ‘Singers’ and set the book up for a forthcoming sequel.  Anyone who has dreams of flight will enjoy the beauty and challenges of these people as they put on their wings and catch an updraft, flying from one community to another!   Readers who love fantasy and dystopian literature will enjoy reading Updraft.  It was a fun read, but didn’t hold our attention or capture our hearts in the same way as One!


Both books deserve a place in our classroom libraries.

1 comment:

  1. I've just finished One and I loved, loved, loved it. Particularly relevant to me right now as Jadon and Anias McDonald, 2 conjoined boys in the USA, were separated in a New York hospital in October of this year. This story showed up on a news website I follow and it caught my attention as a Mum.

    One, I felt, showed the pull and push the girls and those around them felt and explored the questions so many of us have in a thoughtful and human way. Tippy and Grace have lingered in my mind since I finished the book last night and I know it is a novel I will not soon forget.

    ReplyDelete