Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Nest vs Crazy

Uggghh, I am TORN.  The Nest is certainly the book that I think students would like more - it's creepy, suspenseful, and ... unexpected.  BUT I think, personally, that Crazy was the better book.  I mean, I really don't like the whole free-verse narrative poetry novel concept, but I end up liking every one I actually read.  I know, I know.  Anyway, I loved the characters in Crazy,  because Phillips did such a wonderful job portraying the beauty and ugliness and complexity in so many of them.  The hope and humanity portrayed made this little cold heart of mine quite warm.  But, while I enjoyed the inter-denominational Christian drama, I think it might lose a lot of contemporary students.  

So, if my vote is a proxy, what-I-think-students-will-like vote, it's for The Nest.  If it's a selfish "me" vote, it's for Crazy.  Do with that what you will, Dia! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment