Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Rising from the ashes....

There has been lots blogged about these three books and lots of smack, especially when I'll Give You the Sun got knocked out only to crawl it's way through the zombie apocalypse to return.  Honestly, I thought we had better dialogue because it got knocked out early.  That being said, it is my pick to take it all ( aka Welcome back).  Did I like the creepster, toilet-licking weirdo?  Hell, yes.  Was I emotionally touched by the story in the Nazi Hunters? Yup.
But I've said it before, and I'll say it again, sometimes I just need to read a straight-up good story. Siblings who struggled with relationships and each other but still deeply caring for each other. Falling in and out of love, crazy art pieces and figuring it all out that life is not always what you thought. The siblings were not a dragon and werewolf.  Mom didn't fall in love with spectre and the crazy art pieces were not the result of drinking bat juice.  I'll Give You the Sun...for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment