Smackdown Books 2018

Wolf Hollow
Salt to the Sea
The Serpent King
Optimists Die First
The Hate U Give
Orphan Island
Dan vs. Nature
The Female of the Species
March
Unbecoming
Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere
Paper Girls, Vol. 1
The Passion of Dolssa
The Distance Between Us
When We Collided
Louis parmi les spectres
OCDaniel
Girl in the Blue Coat
Refugee
Defy the Stars

Friday, May 8, 2015

And the winner is... what? what?

Quelle horreur!  We didn't get to read I'll Give Your the Sun!  Add it to the list of books for DDM please!

Notwithstanding others' infatuation with the former, my pick goes to The Night Gardner, by Jonathan Auxier, based upon the simple virtue of keeping my attention.  Which is not to suggest that other titles this year have been bereft of redeeming qualities, but to a one, those laudable features were diminished by vapid themes, tired archetypes, or sundry literary sins.  The Night Gardner kept me reading, won my appreciation with tangential details such as the 'hills' of ancestors, and suspended my criticism long enough to have a bit of fun.

It seems that I may have missed the ripest of this year's crop of books, but I'd be sated just the same if more of my YA fare was as tasty as this one.

ER

No comments:

Post a Comment