Smackdown Books 2017

Arlene's smackdown17 book montage

The Memory of Things
Hour of the Bees
The Gospel Truth
Ultraman, Vol. 1
Ghost
The Bunker Diary
Echo
Trouble Is a Friend of Mine
Footer Davis Probably Is Crazy
The Hired Girl
An Ember in the Ashes
The Porcupine of Truth
Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir
Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
Goodbye Stranger
Beautiful Blue World
The Blackthorn Key
One
Updraft
All American Boys
»

Monday, May 4, 2015





And My Winner Is...

Despite a valiant effort from the zombie novel, my final vote of the year goes to The Nazi Hunters.  I have been struggling all this year with YA books not knowing how to end a story, and I'll Give You the Sun was another victim of great intention lost to flawed construction.  The story became a teenaged The Young and the Restless by the end, with more coincidental overlapping story-lines than should ever be allowed beyond 4 pm in the afternoon.

I am not, nor will I ever be a great reader of non-fiction, but The Nazi Hunters, was still my favourite book out of the bunch. I have come across so many references to Eichmann this year through the films, television programs and novels I have been viewing/reading, and each time my mind went back to Bascomb's book, and what I learned because of his research.

Nazi Hunters: 3  All Other Picks: 0

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment