Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, May 16, 2014

Most difficult choice yet...

There were lots of great books in this version of MS and there were books that were left in the dust early, and rightfully so.  I found at times I was comparing apples to toenails because the voice was so different, written for completely different audiences.  I really liked all the books that made it to the end but I didn't have one standout that I was blown away by.  I have recommended all three to many others and some people LOVED Ivan  and other LOVED Counting by 7's.  I LOVED Bomb.  But I am a scientist and I liked the storyline.  I know you can teach Ivan at a variety of levels but it doesn't have the broader appeal that the other two have, I don't know anyone in my junior high who would just pick it up unless I told them to.  Counting by 7's was a harder sell to my boys but the girls loved it.  For me, Counting by 7's was lovely but in the back of my head I kept thinking that this would never, ever happen in the real world.  I just got stuck on it for better or worse.
I would have loved to pick Leonard Peacock but it didn't make it so, instead of picking what is good for girls or good for boys or what is most teachable, I am picking the book that I like best of the three: BOMB. Yup, one for the nerds!!

1 comment: