Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

BOMB'S AWAY!

By far, this book of our remaining three is the one I plump for as the winner of this year's Smackdown.

I cannot endorse any book that celebrates the anthropomorphism of animals.  I read about five pages of these books and I want to stab my eyes out.  So Bye Bye Ivan.  A gorilla.  Not THE gorilla.

I read Counting By Sevens earlier in the season and it is so memorable I forgot about it about two days after reading it. Eleanor and Park and definitely Leonard Peacock were much more interesting, entertaining and thoughtful.  And having given my previous allegiance to Leonard Peacock, I cannot betray his story for a ho-hum read.

That leaves Bomb.  While not the favourite for me of the season, what I really appreciate is that it is a non-fiction book, and it is a book I think kids will enjoy reading.  Too often the humble little non-fic gets over-looked in my world, as I prefer to view those stories on screen rather than read them.  I am hard-wired for fiction.  Bomb told a great story; it was interesting meeting all the players who I have only heard about, and getting to know them beyond being simple players in a game that was played out long before I was a thought in someonès head.

Tracy, Vimy Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment