Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tie No More!

As Holly stated in an earlier post comment, I did go back to the reading lair and sat (sadly without the book slippers - where do I get those?) reading through The Silence of Our Friends last night.

As some know, I like my history wrapped in a story and was very excited to get into this graphic novel. I have read a few entries in this era and enjoyed Lions of Little Rock, Claudette Covin: Twice Toward Freedom and Marching for Freedom: Walk Together Children, And Don't you Get Weary. Frankly, I was leaning towards this book to be an unique graphic novel experience in this reading area.Unfortunately, I found the graphic novel disjointed. The book roamed from the children's perspective - never really fleshed out to the men's friendship - never really fleshed out  and out of the YA arena. Perhaps one focus (I would say child's ) would have enhanced this experience. I do believe background for this book would be important, as it would be for any of the books listed previously. I think Arlene is right this book would go off the shelf easily - more easily than a fantasy book with an unfortunate manga cover; but I don't think the story, as it is told, is worthy. In School of Good and Evil - it's a better story and that's where the gavel is going to come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment