Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Sunday, January 26, 2014

More Than This vs 13 Hangman



Well, we never heard from Jyoti or Brad so Sandra and I are making the decision on this one.

Vanessa:  This one was actually pretty easy for me.  I read More Than This and although I spent the first part of the book thinking “wtf?”, I really liked how it played out.  It was a nice combination of weird and a little scary.  I’m still trying to figure out who (spolier alert) the helmet-head who kept hunting them was.  13 Hangman had a cover I had trouble getting past.  I am not a baseball fan so I had to force myself to pick it up.  In the end, I enjoyed it and there was a lot less baseball than promised on the cover....but I thought it was a little light.  The historical connections were interesting but never really dug deep enough to be interesting. And the story itself never once made me say “wtf” (which I enjoy in a book).  So...I vote for More Than This.  Convince me otherwise....

Sandy: I, too, vote for More Than This to move on to the next round. Even though I enjoyed 13 Hangman, I did not feel it had the same level of complexity or intrigue of More Than This. Patrick Ness is consistently so good!

Smack away friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment