Smackdown Books 2018

Wolf Hollow
Salt to the Sea
The Serpent King
Optimists Die First
The Hate U Give
Orphan Island
Dan vs. Nature
The Female of the Species
March
Unbecoming
Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere
Paper Girls, Vol. 1
The Passion of Dolssa
The Distance Between Us
When We Collided
Louis parmi les spectres
OCDaniel
Girl in the Blue Coat
Refugee
Defy the Stars

Sunday, January 26, 2014

More Than This vs 13 Hangman



Well, we never heard from Jyoti or Brad so Sandra and I are making the decision on this one.

Vanessa:  This one was actually pretty easy for me.  I read More Than This and although I spent the first part of the book thinking “wtf?”, I really liked how it played out.  It was a nice combination of weird and a little scary.  I’m still trying to figure out who (spolier alert) the helmet-head who kept hunting them was.  13 Hangman had a cover I had trouble getting past.  I am not a baseball fan so I had to force myself to pick it up.  In the end, I enjoyed it and there was a lot less baseball than promised on the cover....but I thought it was a little light.  The historical connections were interesting but never really dug deep enough to be interesting. And the story itself never once made me say “wtf” (which I enjoy in a book).  So...I vote for More Than This.  Convince me otherwise....

Sandy: I, too, vote for More Than This to move on to the next round. Even though I enjoyed 13 Hangman, I did not feel it had the same level of complexity or intrigue of More Than This. Patrick Ness is consistently so good!

Smack away friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment