Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Monday, May 27, 2013



       The decision making is done, I am sure, as I cast my little vote, but I can't help but add to the tide that is sweeping The Fault in our Stars.  Without hesitation, one of the best YA books I have read in a long time. And I am grateful to my colleague Andrew for asking if he could teach the book to his grade nine classes, so I would have many excuses to buy more John Greene for our library, and chat with very excited kids about how much they love his work - "did you visit his blog yet, Ms. Wright!!!!"  The excessive use of exclamation marks only begins to reflect the near hysteria I hear in their voices.

      Thank you to Rotters for being a great runner up by giving me an enjoyable read.  The premise was innovative and creative, and the characters kept me interested.  I have a few dark souls I will share this title with.

And with that, I sign off for another year of Smackdown.  It was great reading and writing with everyone!

Tracy

PS.  Late email from Jacquie, who had to post today, but is out with a bad back - she also supports Stars.

1 comment:

  1. Well what can I say other than Fault In Our Stars stole my heart. Rotters had intrigue, but as per usual my heart won the fight. Rotters was an exciting read, and definitely was unlike any book I've ever read. At times I had to check myself, because it seemed like grave robbing was a legitimate way to make money. The gruesome description of the decay of a human body seemed like a science class. It was written with little emotion, which seemed too detached for me. Death is a difficult subject and when walking by gravestones I think of the life that person may have lead and the people they left behind. I don't think of them as a meal ticket nor do I condone the act of using them as such. This made connecting with the characters difficult. The only aspect of the story that built a human connection with me, was Joey's high school experience. The horror, pain and hilarity resonated with me and saved his character for me. If I had read Rotters before Fault In Our Stars, it may have had a chance, but I continually kept saying that it just wasn't holding its own against Fault in Our Stars. The beautiful cruelty of death in Fault in Our Stars took it to the finish line and left all others in its dust.

    ReplyDelete