Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Sunday, April 14, 2013

"Rotters" might rot on my bookshelf versus "Every Day" which might be read someday.

I clearly am missing the point of Rotters based on reading the other blogs about this book.  I found the book tremendously difficult to finish.  I found that it was too long and rambled at times. I am completely at a loss as to what the point of the book was - I am sure the author intended on the reader,me, getting some message but I clearly missed it (maybe it was that you can count on the nastiness of human nature to rear its ugly head often).  I feel like this book would get picked off the shelf because of the enticement of a possible "gross" story but I also predict it will not often get finished because you can only persist into this book so far without wondering "why am reading this?". 




I appreciate there are some missteps with this book.  The premise is interesting and I think the possibility of having a discussion around "can we really separate our physical appearance from our inner character" could happen after reading this book.  I agree that the author comes at this idea in a disjointed way but the main character is moving into a different body every day and so maybe disjointed is what the author hoped to achieve.  I am unsure why some of the characters (i.e. Reverend Poole) existed in the book but at least I felt that even if the reader didn't love the book they likely would be willing to finish it to the end.

I didn't love either of these books but my vote goes to Every Day.

My Zombie pick is Between Shades of Gray (I won't belabour why I think this but will suggest people pick up the book and read it and make their own opinion).


Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment