Smackdown Books 2017

Arlene's smackdown17 book montage

The Memory of Things
Hour of the Bees
The Gospel Truth
Ultraman, Vol. 1
Ghost
The Bunker Diary
Echo
Trouble Is a Friend of Mine
Footer Davis Probably Is Crazy
The Hired Girl
An Ember in the Ashes
The Porcupine of Truth
Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir
Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
Goodbye Stranger
Beautiful Blue World
The Blackthorn Key
One
Updraft
All American Boys
»

Monday, April 2, 2012

Split vs Wonderstruck

Why yes, Brad, I will make this unanimous!

Like the remainder of my group, I most definitely nominate Split to move on to the next round. As mentioned, it was an extremely difficult, but compelling, read. In spite of the heartbreaking, often sensational subject matter, Avasthi explores the topic in a way that feels authentic & realistic, & I found myself rooting for Jace & admiring his resiliancy, even in being accountable for & overcoming his own flaws.

On the other hand, although I was expecting to favor Wonderstruck, I found myself disinterested throughout. The concept is interesting & intruiguing, but the execution felt hollow - nothing about the characters or plot really grabbed me. Although it was a quick read, I found myself dragging through to the end, not particularly caring about what happened to either of the main characters.

So, with that said, I fully support the progression of Split to the next Smackdown round!

No comments:

Post a Comment