Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Criff Carver, Hallway Patrol by Jim Krieg

So, I just finished my first Smackdown book. I must admit, it took me a little while to get into. Does anyone know of any school in Edmonton that has a Hallway Patrol? I didn't think so. Given that it doesn't happen in our neck-of-the-woods, it didn't seem very realistic. On top of that, I couldn't get Mall Cop out of my head, where the main character thinks he's all that and he's going to save the world with his less than important job. However, this morning I got up and found I had to know what was going to happen to poor Griff Carver, a 7th grader, who was kicked out of his last school after alleged Hallway Patrol misconduct. Knowing that, Principal Sprangue was out to get Carver from the beginning and took away his badge after Carver called Sprangue on his littering! There is an accompanying Griff Carver website http://griffcarver.com/> complete with a hallway patrol game and you can even sign up to receive nice and juicy insider information from Griff and the gang via email.

Griff Carver: Hallway Patrol reminded me of a few books and TV shows. I know that there are many boys who enjoy bathroom humor such as that found in Lois Sachar's There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom http://www.louissachar.com/>. In addition, there are many upper elementary and junior high students who enjoy a little mystery and intrigue a la Andrew Clements' Landry News http://www.andrewclements.com/>. If they watch any of the Law and Order, CSI or NCIS, there are some crime lab scenes as well that are appropriate for all audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment