Smackdown Books 2021

Ordinary Hazards
We Dream of Space
If These Wings Could Fly
We Are Not Free
The King of Jam Sandwiches
All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team
The Companion
Punching the Air
Show Me a Sign
Land of the Cranes
Furia
Dragon Hoops
When Stars Are Scattered
Snapdragon
The Radium Girls: The Scary But True Story of the Poison That Made People Glow in the Dark
American as Paneer Pie
Tune It Out
The Gilded Ones
The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
Switch

Friday, November 20, 2020

 Brianne: 

Being Toffee is a gut punch, but well worth the effort. The prose is smooth and easily sucks readers into the well crafted narrative.  Allison is desperate to lose herself and  to forget the pain, neglect, and abuse she’s suffered at the hands of someone she loves. When Allison recognizes that she might be the only person who can protect Marla she finds an inner strength she’s never known, This is a story worth sharing with our students *with care * as the content can be triggering and painful for some readers. 


Cursed was interesting... I enjoyed the retelling of a well known story and I truly appreciated how Miller’s graphics encouraged me to envision a more diverse Round Table. I loved the diverse retelling, even if it was only through Miller's artistry*.  To be honest, there were numerous times when I felt compelled to abandon this book - I still don’t understand why Nimue needed the addition of a love interest plotline when she’s a wicked bad-ass outcast that wields the sword of the One True King Queen. Why does she need a boyfriend when she’s busy slaughtering Holy Crusaders and trying to both unite and save her people from obliteration? I can’t say that I enjoyed this novel all that much, but I am curious to see if future installments can redeem this series!



Lisa

I agree with Brianne, Being Toffee  is a well crafted narrative of two lonely people who forge a friendship through their individual pain.  The content and plot line is believable, and I found myself accepting a believable ending to the stories of Allison and Marla.  

I gave a copy of Being Toffee to one of my prolific readers, to get her opinion.  She loved it.


Cursed:  Agreed - I too felt like abandoning the book a few times.  I found the character development disconcerting - she was a young outcast teen, who all of a sudden comes in possession of a sword and immediately is killing multiple men from the Red Palladin.  *There was a disconnect between the artist's rendition of the story, and the details from the writing - almost as if the artist didn’t actually read the text. 


Being Toffee is voted through to the next round!


No comments:

Post a Comment